Asia Minor had seven(7) Churches. These churches had separate characteristics that singled each out at the time. The extension of this churches is what we have in our contemporary world today.
As you begin to read the traits of these churches, you will begin to see the similarities in our churches today.
1. EPHESUS: The desirable church. The Angel of the Church writes:
‘the words of HIM WHO holds the seven stars in HIS right hand, WHO walks among the seven golden lampstands’.
2. SMYRNA: The persecuted church that suffered poverty and martyrdom.
“And to the angel of Smyrna writes:
‘The words of the FIRST and the LAST, WHO dies and came to life.’
3. PERGAMUM: The worldly Church that mixed doctrines and needed to repent…”And the angel of Pergamum writes:
‘The words of HIM WHO had the sharp two-edged sword.’
4. THYATIRA: The false Church that followed an immoral prophet, Jezebel..
And to the angel of the Church Thyatira writes:
‘the words of teh SON of GOD, WHO has eye like a flame of fire, and WHOSE feet are like burnished bronze.’
5. SARDIS: The “dead” Church feel asleep.
And to the angel of the church in Sardis writes: “The words of HIM WHO has the seven spirits of GOD and the seven stars.’
6. PHILADELPHIA: The Church of brotherly love that endures patiently.
And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia writes:
‘The words of the HOLY ONE, the TRUE ONE,WHO has the key of David, WHO opens and no one will shut , WHO shuts and no one opens.’
7. LEODICEA: The “lukewarm” Churchthat is neither hot or cold……And to the angel of the church in Liodicea writes:
‘the words of the”Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of GOD’s creation.’
Now, we have seen the different portraits of the seven churches in Asia Minor, we have our different churches, what difference is our church making in relation to the churches in Asia Minor?